Friday, December 14, 2007

The Pictures on My Wall

When I was in High School, we had a weird librarian who ordered some more off the wall kinds of shit. I skipped class a lot (eventually dropping out) and I spent most of my time in the library searching for the jewels they had mixed in with all the crap. This is where I first read a Dennis Cooper short story and also where I found a book called "The Untold History of Rock" or something like that... I learned a lot from it and ended up stealing it in the end and still have it somewhere. In the comments section of the last post I talked about how I would hang out alone at my dad's decaying office building making 4-Track tapes and flyers and other xerox art. While I was doing this I photocopied all these images of my heroes and they hung on my wall from high school all the way until now. Here are the images and my favorite song by each one... This is the stuff that got me through high school...

BRIAN ENO

Eno.JPG

DOWNLOAD: BRIAN ENO - HERE COME THE WARM JETS
(This song totally changed the way I listened to music and also has a lot of sentimental memories attached to it in a personal way.)

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART

Beefheart.jpg

DOWNLOAD: CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - KISS (FROM BOOTLEG)
(My favorite Beefheart Song, not from any of his major albums. Also makes me seriously sentimental. Isn't that he point of the holiday season?)

TEENAGE DANCERS
from a chapter on the 60's girl group sound of detroit

Dancers.jpg

DOWNLOAD: MARTHA AND THE VANDELLAS - IN MY LONELY ROOM

RICHARD HELL

Richard Hell.jpg

DOWNLOAD: RICHARD HELL & THE NEON BOYS - THAT'S ALL I KNOW RIGHT NOW

PERE UBU

Pere Ubu.jpg

DOWNLOAD: PERE UBU - HEAVEN

CAN
this photocopied image did not age well...

Can.jpg

DOWNLOAD: CAN - DOKO E (Full Version, From Bootleg)

TELEVISION

Television.jpg

DOWNLOAD: TELEVISION - THE DREAM'S DREAM

JAMES CHANCE & THE CONTORTIONS

James Chance.jpg

DOWNLOAD: CONTORTIONS - I CAN'T STAND MY SELF (WHEN YOU TOUCH ME)