Thursday, December 13, 2007

Origins of Stereolab on Youtube

...for some reason i can't embed these so you'll have to go check them out on your own...

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:
Part 4:

Basically they play a clip of a Stereolab song and then play the song it directly takes from. What I think is rad is they really took sampling to an intellectual level, if you know what I mean. They would take different ideas and transpose them. What I learned from this when I was very young and idolized them was that originality is an overrated concept. It's better to take a palette of pre-existing sounds or chord progressions or bass lines or drumbeats or even melodies and apply your own concepts to them. I could talk about this for hours.

there is also this one for broadcast done by the same guy...

Origins of Broadcast:

Also... check out this fucking rad video of Stereolab playing my favorite song "Blue Milk" live. It's the song I wrote the whole worship post about a while back, where I described watching them play it live and getting the chills...

(it's also pretty rad that this video was put up by "Queer Youth TV")