Saturday, December 29, 2007

I Found This Black Lips Tape Under My Bed


Image Stolen From Nylon

I found this tape in a box of unlabeled cassettes under my bed. It has three alternate versions of Black Lips songs from a recording session they did in Athens at Chris Bishop's studio (the same place we did Cryptograms / Fluorescent Grey.) These songs were intended for their second album, "We Did Not Know The Forest Spirit Made The Flowers Grow." I think Colin had something to do with the writing of "Robitussin," and "The Ballad of "Ray Marsh" is my favorite Black Lips song ever. It was written by Jack Hines, who played guitar with them at the time. I asked Cole and he said I could post them so I digitized them... here they are:

1. M.I.A. (Alternate Version)
2. Robitussin (Out-take)
3. The Ballad of Ray Marsh (Out-take)