Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Old Songs Remastered in Harlem


Above: Bob Weston @ Chicago Mastering hard at work on "Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel"

I left Chicago this morning. Now I'm relaxing in Harlem. I spent all yesterday mastering the Atlas Sound record. It sounds really good. I'm really proud. During my visit to Chicago I got to see a lot of friends and go out a little but mainly I stayed in and Brian showed me how to use plug-ins. Holy shit. Mastering is a lot more fun than I thought. With my new knoweldge and VST plug-ins I decided to revisit some songs I've previously posted here and give them better mixes. There's also a couple of new old ones I'm throwing up here for kicks. I am really in love with this particular plug-in called a "vintage warmer" i made bob put it all over the atlas sound record...



I Cleaned up my cover of Mark Sultan's excellent "Unicorn Rainbow Odyssey" by getting rid of some of the reverb i've been abusing and stripping it down a lot. I like this version better
Unicorn Rainbow Odyssey (Mark Sultan Cover).MP3
Here is a new instrumental, not really new. It was recorded in a hotel room in headphones last spring. Its really just a jam, not much to it...
Remembered By.MP3
Another new old song. This was a new-wave type song that I messed around with when I was writing the "Let the Blind..."
album. It's a really rough demo...
Words from the Wall.mp3
Finally, I removed a lot of the reverb and atmospherics from the "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" cover. You can hear a lot more mistakes now but I think it sounds even sadder stripped down. I wanted to dedicate this one to Lady Jaye Breyer P-Orridge. (R.I.P.)
Only Love Can Break Your Heart (Version 2).MP3

For those of you who didn't know:



Genesis Breyer P-Orridge and her reactivated Psychic TV aka PTV3 are terribly sad to announce the cancellation of their November North American tour dates. This decision is entirely due to the unexpected passing of band member Lady Jaye Breyer P-Orridge.

Lady Jaye died suddenly on Tuesday 9th October 2007 at home in Brooklyn, New York from a previously undiagnosed heart condition which is thought to have been connected with her long-term battle with stomach cancer. Lady Jaye collapsed and died in the arms of her heartbroken "other half" Genesis Breyer P-Orridge.

Being overwhelmed by the enormity of their loss, Genesis and the other surviving band members of Psychic TV/PTV3 are not able to properly meet the demands of touring and performance. Obviously, her absence onstage , the conspicuous loss of her unique charisma, music and humour would be an unbearable emotional reality to confront night after night.

The group, who have been touring to promote their first studio album in 12 years, will announce future plans after an appropriate period of mourning.